Perhaps three months late but here it is, tataaahhhh, my DIY chair. Actually I started the project last winter when my husband told me stop dragging garbage into the flat. So we made a bet. He proposed that I get a bag if I finished the chairs (I bought 2 from an antique dealer in Salzburg) within 3 weeks (end of 2016 back then). He knew that they would end up in a random corner of our flat otherwise. Untouched. So I eagerly started with the first chair. What I didn’t know is that it will take forever to remove the dirty fabric- which was about 2 hundred years old- and pull about 1 Mio. nails out of the chair. After pulling nails for 3 days, and removing and grinding the surface I lost interest in my little project. The time wasn’t just right. So I moved them into the office as I wanted to document every step of the makeover the following months. Well, that never happened.
About a year later the time seemed right to finish my lovely chair ( singular) . No more office, no more crazy deadlines and unbelievable pressure, and a baby on board I had chosen the perfect fabric for my project. I really loved the idea to build a chair for my son. And this fabric is as childlike as it gets in our household as I really do not like the usual nursery stuff you can buy in shops.
So I dragged the chair up from the cellar, painted it Downpipe Grey by Farrow & Ball and started with the fun part- the fabric. Well, as my husband likes to put it “I like the concept of doing stuff but without actually doing it myself.” Spot on. I tried to skip a couple of -in my eyes- unnecessary tasks I have seen on Youtube, like renewing the back and seats as those seemed totally ok for me. It survived 200 hundred years, 20 more will do. Nevertheless it took me forever to cut out white fabric to isolate the old parts and the new fabric which I found at Stilgerecht in Plankengasse, a brilliant source of inspiration. When finishing the back part my husband came home and really liked the concept of it but realized in a heartbeat that the back part will not last. It actually broke. I agreed. And started over. Bought some foam rubber and built a decent back part and the next days the seat. It.was.so.much.work. I was 6 months pregnant when starting my little DIY project, so it was quite an effort to finish the chair. But I made it. I would strongly advice you to google or Youtube and not rely on my instructions, as this chair might not survive the next years, but hey it looks good. It will rest in my nursery as an eye candy.
What I learned: You don’t need much more than a couple of small nails, a scissor and a paperbox (cutout to stabilize the back of the chair) and foam of course. You should try to work as accurate as possible from the start, as it will hit you later, trust me. It always does.
Give it a little extra patience and also think about a proper finishing for the fabric. I really like the unfinished look and the rough edges but I might add a velvet ribbon to hide the fringes.Lets see.